We’re looking for early-career professionals who meet the following qualifications:
- Have some previous theatre training and skills.
- Exhibit a strong drive to work in this field (relevant academic qualifications are a plus, but not a requirement.).
- Are over 18 years old.
- Are willing to clock irregular working hours.
- Can commit for the length of the production (depending on individual apprenticeships, may be anything from 2 to 6 months).
- Word processing and spreadsheet experience is also required.
What to Expect – You will:
- Receive specialised training in your applied field.
- Work as a part of Pangdemonium’s business and production teams.
- Gain insight into the artistic, production and business operations of a professional theatre company.
- Make meaningful and professional connections within the industry.
- Apprenticeship stipend to assist with daily expenses.
- Tickets to Pangdemonium shows during the apprenticeship period.
Over 18 years old
Apprentices work with our full-time production management staff. Production management has the critical role of keeping a production running smoothly from conceptualisation through rehearsals, set-up, performances and eventually strike and archival. Apprentices will assist the production management team in coordinating the various production disciplines – scenic, lighting, wardrobe, sound, multimedia projection, stage management. Production management apprentices are required to fulfil office hours in the department as well as attend to the needs of the production during performances.
This is a twelve month apprenticeship that will give a intermediate-level lighting-specialized individual an exclusive opportunity to further develop their craft under the mentorship of Pangdemonium’s Associate Artist, James Tan. Dates and hours will be determined by the needs of each production.
James Tan is an established Singaporean Lighting Designer. He holds a Master of Fine Arts in Lighting Design from UC San Diego. James recognizes the significance of mentorship for young aspiring lighting professionals. James was conferred The Young Artist Award and awarded Arts Professional Scholarship by The National Arts Council of Singapore. He was also recipient of The Allen Lee Hughes Lighting Design Fellowship, United States Institute for Theatre Technology (USITT) YD&T Lighting Design Award, USITT Commissioners Grant & International Association of Lighting Designers (IALD) Education Trust for IALD Enlighten Americas and M1-The Straits Times Life Theatre Awards – Best Lighting Design for Red Sky (Nine Years Theatre).
- Cover letter that answers the following questions:
a) Why do you want to work in this field?
b) What skills and experiences you bring to this field?
c) What you hope to learn from this apprenticeship?
d) Availability for the apprenticeship
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae.
- Design portfolio/website
- Two letters of recommendation from individuals who can substantiate your qualifications and provide further information as to why you are a good candidate for this programme.
- The cover letter, resume, and two letters of recommendation should be submitted as one PDF titled “lastname_firstname.pdf”(i.e. letts_tracy.pdf).
Frequently Asked Questions
Depends on your specialisation! You will start working with our teams immediately and at the same time, have independent responsibilities. But beyond your specialization, you will have some involvement in all aspects of technical & production management – ranging from administrative work like copying and filing; to observing technical rehearsals in the theatre. You can also expect to be part of company and department meetings so you get a good idea of the big picture.
This is a programme for individuals who are serious about pursuing a career in a particular field of technical theatre. Priority will be given to applicants with some previous theatre experience, but we welcome people with open minds and a willingness to learn.
Let’s be honest – a career in technical theatre requires commitment. Sometimes the hours are long but we can tell you what to expect so you can plan your life accordingly. We would like to have some semblance of a social life too.
Great! Seize your destiny and all that. You will receive an email to confirm that we’ve received your application. The email will let you know when we will begin to consider applications and the deadline for making our selections. If you are shortlisted, we will contact you to set up an interview. If we are not able to offer you an apprenticeship, we will email you after the selection deadline.