By Patrick Lenz
Are looking to study all approximately Ruby on Rails, the net program framework that's inspiring builders around the globe?
This useful hands-on consultant for first-time Ruby on Rails programmers will stroll you thru fitting the mandatory software program on a home windows, Mac or Linux machine. And earlier than you get coding, a complete bankruptcy is dedicated to item orientated programming in Ruby, so you'll be thoroughly convinced with the Ruby language prior to you start operating with Rails.
the instance software that the ebook builds - a user-generated information website - is outfitted upon with every one following bankruptcy, and ideas similar to periods, cookies and simple AJAX utilization are steadily brought. varied facets of Rails, similar to ActiveRecord, migrations and automatic checking out are explored with each one characteristic that's further to the applying.
The ebook finishes with chapters on debugging, benchmarking and deployment to a dwell net server.
via the top of the e-book, you'll have outfitted a fully-featured net 2.0 program and deployed it to the internet. And all code is up to date for Rails 1.2, so that you can start coding instantly with the newest model of Rails.
Read or Download Build Your Own Ruby on Rails Web Applications PDF
Best web development books
A pragmatic advisor to Designing for the net is for those who are looking to examine the fundamentals of picture layout and follow them to their internet designsproducing extra eective, polished, targeted websites. It’s additionally important for picture designers who are looking to brush up at the fundamentals or the right way to combine what they already find out about layout with the calls for and quirks of designing particularly for the net.
<h3>What you’ll learn</h3> * the place CSS, HTML, and the DOM healthy into smooth scripting, and the way to exploit them jointly successfully
* tips on how to construct powerful shape validation into your functions utilizing Ajax
* how one can create mashups utilizing APIs
* how you can construct dynamic consumer interfaces
<h3>Who this ebook is for</h3>
* Object-Oriented Programming
* Ajax and information trade
* visible results
* Case research: FAQ Facelift
* A Dynamic support process
Readers can take their Hypertext Preprocessor abilities to the following point with this totally revised and up-to-date personal home page complicated: visible QuickPro advisor, 3rd version! full of fourteen chapters of step by step content material and written via bestselling writer and personal home page programmer Larry Ullman, this advisor teaches particular subject matters in direct, targeted segments, indicates how personal home page is utilized in real-world functions.
Top site entrepreneur Jon Smith has condensed the secrets and techniques of his good fortune into fifty two inspiring rules that even the main hopeless technophobe can enforce. the intense suggestions and functional recommendation in websites that paintings will uplift and remodel any site, from the easiest to the main advanced.
- The Mobile Book (By Smashing Magazine)
- Using Drupal
- Selenium 2 Testing Tools: Beginner's Guide
- Designing with Web Standards (3rd Edition)
- REST in Practice: Hypermedia and Systems Architecture
- Playful Design
Extra info for Build Your Own Ruby on Rails Web Applications
Chapter 1: Introducing Ruby on Rails rather static plan for an application’s goals and needs using predictive methods. These development models usually approach applications from the bottom-up (that is, by working on the data first). In contrast, Agile development methods use an adaptive approach. Small teams (typically consisting of fewer than ten developers) iteratively complete small units of the project. Before starting an iteration, the team re-evaluates the priorities for the application that’s being built (these priorities may have shifted during the previous iteration, so they may need adjustment).
3. The InstantRails control panel The final step is to update Rails. To do that, right-click on the red I icon in the System Tray to bring up the InstantRails menu. From this menu, select Rails Applications > Open Ruby Console. Once the console opens, enter the following command: C:\InstantRails> gem install rails --include-dependencies Don’t Use Other Installations of MySQL Be careful if you already have MySQL installed and running on your machine—it’s not safe to assume that the version you have is compatible with InstantRails.
21. 20. 21. The Ruby Console under Windows The rails command takes a single parameter: the directory in which you’d like to store your application. You can, and are encouraged to, execute it from the parent directory in which you want your new Rails application to live. log Congratulations, your directory structure has been created! Starting our Application Even before we write any code, it’s possible to start up our application environment to check that our setup is working correctly. This should give us a nice boost of confidence before we progress any further.
Build Your Own Ruby on Rails Web Applications by Patrick Lenz